- Posted by admin
- On November 11, 2016
- Flooding Protection, floods, HVAC, Ontario, Windsor
Last month, the City of Windsor experienced record flooding that caused serious damage to many people’s property. Homeowners especially struggled with flooding basements and irreparable situations that their insurance simply will not cover. In light of this and what many people aren’t aware of, is that the City of Windsor actually offers a subsidiary to homeowners for backwater preventer valves through the Basement Flooding Protection Subsidy Program. Backwater preventer valves can stop flooding in homes that the residents of Windsor have experienced and should be taken advantage of in order to prevent future similar circumstances.
The flood resulted from the city getting an unexpected amount of rainfall, which its systems couldn’t keep up with. The sewers were unable to hold any more water within the city, forcing basins to fill up with 3-4 feet of water which began to overflow into people’s homes.
CBC interviewed some of the affected homeowners, many of whom were forced to drain their basements and rip up all of their flooring. They stated that mould quickly became a serious issue, and that there was no saving their wooden floors after clearing the water and up to an inch of sewage in the basements.
Backwater preventer valves stop water from flowing in the reverse direction than originally intended, which is often what results in flooding. These valves sense the change in water direction and completely close the line when it occurs, which can prevent flooding completely or minimize it significantly.
But what exactly is the Basement Flooding Protection Subsidy Program?
It’s a way for the citizens of Windsor to take appropriate action to reduce the risk of basement flooding. It is a financial subsidy for residents to install a sump pump with sump pump overflow and/or backwater preventer valves and/or disconnect fountain drains from the floor drain.
According to The City of Windsor:
- The Maximum Eligible Subsidy Limit is $2,800 per Home/Unit:
- Install backwater valve(s) (licensed plumber required) – Up to 80 percent of cost, ($1,000 maximum)
- Install sump pump with sump pump overflow and disconnect foundation drains to floor drains – Up to 80 percent of cost, ($1,750 maximum)
- Install only sump pump overflow to discharge outside to surface (applies to existing sump pumps only) – Up to 80 percent of cost, ($300 maximum)
- Install backwater valve and sump pump with sump pump overflow – Up to 80 percent of cost, ($2,800 maximum)
- Disconnect foundation drains from floor drain and/or dye testing and camera work as required – Up to 80 percent of cost, ($400 maximum)
The subsidy requires that all basement flooding protection work “be performed by a contractor/licensed plumber of master plumber and that the plumber or master plumber should be able to present a current City of Windsor License.” Fahrhall Home Comfort Specialists are fully licensed to help you with all of your plumbing needs. We are completely proficient in the installation of flooding protection equipment and are ready to help in any way we can.
Contact us today with any questions you may have or for more information on how Fahrhall can help protect your basement from any future flooding.
Click here for full details from the City of Windsor regarding the Basement Flooding Protection Subsidy Program.