- Posted by admin
- On May 10, 2017
- Chatham, Flooding Protection, Plumbing, Windsor
Southwestern Ontario and parts of Quebec have received much more rainfall than usual for this time of year. Ottawa is presently in a state of emergency due to flooding from the Ottawa River, and although the Windsor area is not affected in the same capacity, it’s important to be prepared for Windsor floods.
The surrounding water levels are much higher this year and thus we are more prone to flooding, even though Windsor is actually seeing less rain than expected.
During past Windsor floods, the city sewers couldn’t hold that much water within the city, which forced sewer basins to fill up with 3-4 feet of water. This began to overflow into people’s homes, forcing serious damage and even health hazards in homeowners’ basements.
One of the best ways to prepare for and stop this serious damage from happening again is to install a backwater preventer valve in your home. A backwater preventer valve is designed to stop sewage from backing up into a building and causing basement flooding. It senses when water or sewage starts moving in the wrong direction and completely cuts off the plumbing line, preventing the flooding from entering your home. Click here to learn more.
As a Windsor citizen, you can take advantage of the City of Windsor Basement Flooding Protection Subsidy Program. This program is a way for citizens to take appropriate action to reduce the risk of basement flooding. It’s a financial subsidy provided to residents to install a sump pump with sump pump overflow and/or backwater preventer valves and/or disconnect fountain drains from the floor drain.
According to the City of Windsor:
- The Maximum Eligible Subsidy Limit is $2,800 per Home/Unit:
- Install backwater valve(s) (licensed plumber required) – Up to 80 percent of cost, ($1,000 maximum)
- Install sump pump with sump pump overflow and disconnect foundation drains to floor drains – Up to 80 percent of cost, ($1,750 maximum)
- Install only sump pump overflow to discharge outside to surface (applies to existing sump pumps only) – Up to 80 percent of cost, ($300 maximum)
- Install backwater valve and sump pump with sump pump overflow – Up to 80 percent of cost, ($2,800 maximum)
- Disconnect foundation drains from floor drain and/or dye testing and camera work as required – Up to 80 percent of cost, ($400 maximum)
To receive this subsidy, all basement flooding protection installations must “be performed by a contractor/licensed plumber or master plumber and that the plumber or master plumber should be able to present a current City of Windsor License.”
Fahrhall Home Comfort Specialists are fully licensed professionals, prepared to assist in all of your plumbing needs. We can install all flooding protection equipment and help you stay covered in the event of Windsor floods this season.