Preparing for Seasonal Winter Storms
- Posted by admin
- On October 26, 2016
- Chatham, Fahrhall Protection Plans, furnace, HVAC, Windsor
In Canada, we’ve come to expect very cold temperatures and flurries but can often be struck with severe storms that seemingly appear out of nowhere. It’s important to keep yourself and your home ready for the unexpected and ensure you’re preparing for seasonal winter storms in advance.
In the coming weeks, gather emergency kit essentials:
- Have an ice-melting agent such as rock salt available for your driveway
- Sturdy shovels that are easily accessible to clear your driveway
- Flashlights in a few areas of your home
- Candles and matches
- Extra firewood if you have a wood burning stove or fireplace and portable space heaters
You should also ensure that you have plenty of clothing for layering. Remember that in the event of power loss and being stuck in the cold, you should avoid sweating and maintain a comfortable body temperature by adding and removing layers as time passes.
- Keep the water in your home running during severe winter storms. Keeping all taps running at just a trickle will help to prevent your pipes from freezing.
- Check your carbon monoxide and smoke detectors.
- Fully stock your First Aid Kit with:
- You can even add extra batteries and a portable radio near your First Aid Kit so you have everything accessible in the same area of your home.
- Fully charge portable battery packs for your cellphone in case your phone battery is low when the power goes out.
- Be sure to have those extra things your family specifically needs, like dog food or baby formula.
- Store at least 3 days’ worth of non-perishable food and water for each member of your family.
- Avoid going out when you hear warnings of severe winter storms, but keep your car’s gas tank full in case you run out of power and need to leave.
Fahrhall Home Comfort Specialists hope you keep these tips in mind and stay safe this winter by preparing for seasonal winter storms.
Stay warm this season!