Spring Cleaning Tasks You Might Have Missed
- Fahrhall, Home Comfort, HVAC Tips, Spring Cleaning
This time of year, we’re busy with AC maintenance calls and plumbing requests. Often, we encounter problems that could have been avoided if homeowners incorporated some—often neglected—HVAC and plumbing tasks into their spring cleaning routine.
HVAC Spring Cleaning
- Check and replace air filter. Running an air conditioner with a clogged filter can decrease efficiency, reduce indoor air quality and even cause the air conditioner to break down. Make sure to check the filter monthly and replace as needed.
- Clear AC drainage hole. Many cooling systems have a drainage point beneath the evaporator fins. To prevent operation issues, you should regularly check and clear the drain.
- Schedule annual AC maintenance. It’s important to have a certified technician inspect and tune-up your air conditioner every year. Not only can it improve efficiency and home comfort level, but it can also catch problems early, preventing a breakdown when you need the AC the most.
Plumbing Spring Cleaning
- Check toilet flappers. Inspect flappers yearly—if they start showing their age—it’s best to replace them before they start leaking.
- Remove and clean faucet handles. In order to keep faucet handle screws from corroding, and ultimately failing, thoroughly clean the inside of all the handles at least once a year. If rust has already started to form, you can use rust remover.
- Check downspout location. To avoid flooding, you want at least three feet between the side of the house and where rain empties from the downspout. Take a few moments to check downspout location to ensure nothing has shifted over the winter and spring.
If you have any concerns about your cooling system or home’s plumbing,
don’t hesitate to contact Fahrhall Home Comfort Specialists.
Fahrhall Home Comfort Specialists have been in the heating and cooling business for over 50 years. We’re certified experts when it comes to HVAC maintenance and installation and we take pride in providing outstanding service to our customers and community in the Windsor-Essex & Chatham-Kent areas.